This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a patient diagnosed with Prinzmetal or variant angina. What does the nurse ... (Read 49 times)

strangeaffliction

The nurse is caring for a patient diagnosed with Prinzmetal or variant angina. What does the nurse realize this indicates for the patient?

1. It indicates presence of coronary artery spasm.
  2. It indicates there is associated renal disease.
  3. It indicates there is associated pulmonary disease.
  4. It indicates the presence of a myocardial infarction.

Question 2

During a follow-up appointment after a myocardial infarction, a patient states, My friends tell me to add more garlic to my diet and start drinking red wine each evening. What response by the nurse is best?

1. Discuss your idea with the physician to see what would benefit you.
  2. That sounds fine. See how they work.
  3. I wouldn't do that if I were you.
  4. You should also add ginkgo biloba for cardiovascular health.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mcabuhat

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Prinzmetal (variant) angina is atypical angina that occurs unpredictably (unrelated to activity) and often at night. It is caused by coronary artery spasm with or without an atherosclerotic lesion. The exact mechanism of coronary artery spasm is unknown. Prinzmetal angina does not occur due to renal disorders, pulmonary disorder, and is not specifically diagnostic for a myocardial infarction.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Complimentary therapies could be helpful. They should be added only after discussion with a healthcare provider who is familiar with the patient's history and current medication/allergy list. Interactions between herbal preparations and prescribed medications are common. Since the patient has taken an interest in her health by discussing it with her friends, ignoring her comment or discouraging her would not be beneficial. The nurse should not add or approve any other complimentary therapies unless directed so by the physician.

Did you know?

Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid originally extracted from a type of saffron plant that is used mainly to treat gout.

Did you know?

Less than one of every three adults with high LDL cholesterol has the condition under control. Only 48.1% with the condition are being treated for it.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

Did you know?

About 100 new prescription or over-the-counter drugs come into the U.S. market every year.

Did you know?

Human kidneys will clean about 1 million gallons of blood in an average lifetime.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library