This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is performing discharge teaching with a patient who had a cystogram. What should the nurse ... (Read 67 times)

pepyto

A nurse is performing discharge teaching with a patient who had a cystogram. What should the nurse include in this teaching?

Select all that apply.
  1. Take a sitz bath.
  2. Increase oral fluid intake.
  3. Take acetaminophen for minor pain.
  4. Apply heat to the lower back.
  5. Drink one ounce of brandy or rum with warm water.

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a patient about a voiding cystogram. Which patient statements indicate that teaching has been effective?

Select all that apply.
  1. A urinary catheter will be placed in my bladder.
  2. My bladder will be filled with fluid.
  3. I will tell you when my bladder feels full.
  4. A peripheral IV will be inserted in my arm.
  5. I will be sedated for the procedure.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

joneynes

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1, 2

Appropriate techniques for relieving pain after a cystogram include taking a sitz bath, and increasing oral fluid intake. The use of over-the-counter pain medication is not a part of this teaching. Apply heat to the lower abdomen, not the lower back. Tell the patient to avoid alcoholic drinks for two days and that a slight burning sensation with voiding may occur for a day or two.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1, 2, 3
During this procedure a urinary catheter will be placed in the bladder so that fluid can be instilled directly into the bladder. Then the bladder will be filled and during filling the patient will be asked to describe the first urge to void, and the sensation of being unable to delay urination any longer. A peripheral IV is not needed for this procedure and the patient is not sedated as the patient must report when the sensation of bladder filling is occurring.

pepyto

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

tandmlomax84

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Approximately one in three babies in the United States is now delivered by cesarean section. The number of cesarean sections in the United States has risen 46% since 1996.

Did you know?

Allergies play a major part in the health of children. The most prevalent childhood allergies are milk, egg, soy, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, and seafood.

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

Did you know?

One way to reduce acid reflux is to lose two or three pounds. Most people lose weight in the belly area first when they increase exercise, meaning that heartburn can be reduced quickly by this method.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library