This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a patient with hepatitis C who is treating the illness with licorice root. ... (Read 27 times)

sabina

The nurse is caring for a patient with hepatitis C who is treating the illness with licorice root. Which statement by the patient requires follow-up regarding this medication?

1. I feel so tired all the time.
  2. My fingers feel numb and tingly.
  3. I have a dull ache in my abdomen.
  4. I have antibodies for hepatitis C in my blood.

Question 2

A patient who returned from a humanitarian trip to Central America 2 weeks ago is jaundiced and diagnosed with hepatitis A. The patient is the parent of three school-age children. Which patient statement should the nurse follow up with the patient?

1. I can't go home and expose my children to this.
  2. We cared for several very ill people on our trip.
  3. I plan to get a lot of rest in the next few days.
  4. I am likely to recover fully eventually.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Amiracle

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Herbalists may use licorice root to treat hepatitis. It has both antiviral and anti-inflammatory effects. Long-term use of licorice root, however, can lead to hypertension and affect fluid and electrolyte balance. Reports of numbness and tingling in the fingers may be a sign of electrolyte imbalance. Feeling tired is expected in a patient with hepatitis C. A dull ache in the abdomen is often seen in patients with hepatitis. It is expected that this patient would have antibodies to hepatitis C in the blood.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Once jaundice develops, the amount of virus in the stool and the risk of spreading the disease decrease significantly. The nurse should teach that the patient was likely more contagious in the last 2 weeks than at the current time. This disease is spread through the fecaloral route. It is likely the patient contracted the illness on the trip. Rest is recommended for the patient with hepatitis A. Full recovery is the typical scenario with this illness.

Did you know?

Medication errors are more common among seriously ill patients than with those with minor conditions.

Did you know?

To maintain good kidney function, you should drink at least 3 quarts of water daily. Water dilutes urine and helps prevent concentrations of salts and minerals that can lead to kidney stone formation. Chronic dehydration is a major contributor to the development of kidney stones.

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

Did you know?

If all the neurons in the human body were lined up, they would stretch more than 600 miles.

Did you know?

Only 12 hours after an egg cell is fertilized by a sperm cell, the egg cell starts to divide. As it continues to divide, it moves along the fallopian tube toward the uterus at about 1 inch per day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library