This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with cholelithiasis is recovering from extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy. Which ... (Read 50 times)

jerry coleman

A patient with cholelithiasis is recovering from extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy. Which statements indicate that the patient remembers the procedure accurately?

Select all that apply.
  1. It didn't take long, just a few hours.
  2. They gave me some medication in my IV. I didn't feel much.
  3. Afterwards the nurses kept asking me if my abdomen hurt or if I was nauseated.
  4. I was glad I could move around a lot during the procedure.
  5. They used a big machine to guide the shock waves to the stones.

Question 2

When preparing a patient for an intravenous pyelogram (IVP), the nurse reviews diagnostic data. Which finding should the nurse report to the healthcare provider before sending the patient for the test?

1. blood urea nitrogen (BUN) 55 mg/dL
  2. serum creatinine 1.3 mg/dL
  3. urine culture <10,000 organisms/mL
  4. residual urine of 80 mL

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bpool94

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2, 3, 5
Mild sedation may be given during the procedure. Nursing care after the procedure includes monitoring for biliary colic, which can result from the gallbladder contracting to remove stone fragments. The patient with biliary colic is often nauseated. A machine is used to deliver shock waves to break up the gallstones. The procedure usually takes an hour. Positioning is important, and the patient most likely did not move around during the procedure.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Blood urea nitrogen (BUN) of 55 mg/dL indicates that there might be a problem of renal function. The healthcare provider will need to be notified because an IVP involves the injection of dye that must eventually be cleared by the kidney; if there is already compromised renal function, the test may not be administered. Serum creatinine 1.3 mg/dL, urine culture <10,000 organisms/mL, and residual urine of 80 mL are all within the normal range and do not need to be reported to the healthcare provider.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

Serum cholesterol testing in adults is recommended every 1 to 5 years. People with diabetes and a family history of high cholesterol should be tested even more frequently.

Did you know?

Increased intake of vitamin D has been shown to reduce fractures up to 25% in older people.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library