Author Question: A patient has been diagnosed with type 1 herpes simplex lesions on the mouth and face. Which ... (Read 130 times)

sdfghj

A patient has been diagnosed with type 1 herpes simplex lesions on the mouth and face. Which statement indicates that the patient understands teaching provided by the nurse?

1. I will have this condition for life.
  2. This was caused by a bacterial infection.
  3. This is a type of fungal infection.
  4. An antibiotic will help heal these sores in about 3 days.

Question 2

The nurse is providing discharge teaching to a patient recovering from bariatric surgery. Which patient statements indicate that teaching about dumping syndrome has been effective?

Select all that apply.

1. I should eat three large meals each day.
  2. I should have tea and toast for breakfast.
  3. I should drink fluids frequently while eating a meal.
  4. I should lie down for 30 minutes after eating a meal.
  5. I should avoid eating foods high in simple carbohydrates.

14vl19

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1

The herpes simplex virus remains latent and can recur during stressful events, fever, trauma, sunlight exposure, and treatment with immunosuppressive drugs. The condition is not caused by a bacterial or fungal infection and is not managed with antibiotics.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3, 5
Patients recovering from bariatric surgery should be instructed to avoid foods high in simple carbohydrates. Meals should be small, and liquids and solids should not be taken together. Tea and toast will not prevent dumping syndrome. It is not necessary for the patient to lie down after eating. This will not prevent dumping syndrome.