This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is assessing an older patient with type 2 diabetes mellitus. What age-related endocrine ... (Read 38 times)

nramada

The nurse is assessing an older patient with type 2 diabetes mellitus. What age-related endocrine change should the nurse expect in this patient?

1. decreased sensitivity to insulin
  2. more rapid insulin release
  3. intolerance of fatty foods
  4. lower and prolonged blood glucose levels

Question 2

A patient is having a 17-keosteroid test performed. What statement by the patient indicates that teaching about this test has been effective?

1. I will store the specimen container in the refrigerator.
  2. I shouldn't eat or drink anything before this test.
  3. I know this test will be helpful in diagnosing my thyroid problem.
  4. I will arrive early to have my blood drawn.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

skipfourms123

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Decreased sensitivity to insulin and delayed and decreased insulin release are seen in the older patient diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Intolerance of fatty foods occurs in older adults but is not specific to the older patient with type 2 diabetes. Blood glucose levels are higher and prolonged in the older patient with diabetes.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
The 17-ketosteroid test is a 24-hour collection of urine to evaluate adrenal cortex function. The patient is instructed to collect urine in a container in preservative and store it in the refrigerator. There are no food or fluid restrictions and the test does not include having blood drawn.

nramada

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

helenmarkerine

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

Did you know?

Cucumber slices relieve headaches by tightening blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the area, and relieving pressure.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

Did you know?

As the western states of America were settled, pioneers often had to drink rancid water from ponds and other sources. This often resulted in chronic diarrhea, causing many cases of dehydration and death that could have been avoided if clean water had been available.

Did you know?

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends that all women age 65 years of age or older should be screened with bone densitometry.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library