Author Question: A 55-year-old patient who is recovering from a facelift says, I think this was a waste of time and ... (Read 24 times)

ahriuashd

A 55-year-old patient who is recovering from a facelift says, I think this was a waste of time and money. I look horrible How should the nurse respond to this patient?

1. It takes a while for the skin to heal.
  2. You could use makeup.
  3. I would complain to the doctor.
  4. What did you expect?

Question 2

A 40-year-old male patient says, I wish I could have all of these tattoos removed. What solution should the nurse suggest to this patient?

1. dermabrasion
  2. chemical peeling
  3. skin graft
  4. blepharoplasty

leeeep

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
This patient needs to be reminded that there will be bruising and swelling that might take several weeks to disappear. It might also take a year for healing to complete and the final results to appear. The patient's reports are normal when faced with an alteration in appearance. The use of makeup is not needed and is premature. Filing a complaint with the doctor is not indicated. The patient's emotional state warrants an empathetic response; asking the patient what he or she expected is not a therapeutic response.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Dermabrasion is a method of removing facial scars, severe acne, and pigment from unwanted tattoos. The area is sprayed with a chemical to cause light freezing and is then abraded with sandpaper or a revolving wire brush to remove the epidermis and a portion of the dermis. Chemical peeling involves a process that smoothes the skin by removing the surface layers. Skin grafting involves removing skin from another body area and will cause scarring; it is not an acceptable management tool for this patient's problem. Blepharoplasty is a cosmetic surgical procedure on the eyes. This cannot be used to remove the tattoos.