Author Question: A patient tells the nurse, I had this arthritis pain under control, but then I learned I might lose ... (Read 47 times)

armygirl

A patient tells the nurse, I had this arthritis pain under control, but then I learned I might lose my job. How should the nurse respond?

1. Well, we'd better do everything to help you before you lose your health benefits.
  2. I'm sure you'll find another job.
  3. Stress can exacerbate arthritis.
  4. Have you considered going on disability?

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a patient newly diagnosed with HIV. Which patient statement indicates the need for additional teaching?

1. I know to use an oil-based lubricant to prevent giving the disease to my partner.
  2. I know I have to practice safe sex with my partner.
  3. I will not share my toothbrush or razor with my partner.
  4. I know I can't donate blood anymore because I have HIV.

reversalruiz

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3

The onset of an autoimmune disorder is frequently associated with an abnormal stressor, either physical or psychological. Autoimmune disorders are frequently progressive relapsingremission disorders characterized by periods of exacerbation and remission. The nurse should not compound the patient's anxiety by appearing to assume the patient will lose the job or health benefits. Arthritis is a condition associated with periods of remission and exacerbation. The patient should be encouraged to remain as active as possible and avoid giving up.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1

The nurse should educate the patient on how to prevent the spread of HIV, including the need to use latex condoms with a spermicidal lubricant. The patient is correct in stating that it is not an acceptable practice to share toothbrushes or razors, that blood donation is prohibited, and that he and his partner must practice safe sex.