This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient is diagnosed with a type IV delayed hypersensitivity reaction. What is an example of this ... (Read 37 times)

debasdf

A patient is diagnosed with a type IV delayed hypersensitivity reaction. What is an example of this type of reaction?

1. latex allergy
  2. reaction to a wasp sting
  3. serum sickness
  4. autoimmune hemolytic anemia

Question 2

A patient comes into the emergency department with itching, swelling, and slight shortness of breath after being stung by a bee. The nurse realizes this patient is experiencing which type of hypersensitivity reaction?

1. type I IgE-mediated hypersensitivity
  2. type II cytotoxic hypersensitivity
  3. type III immune complex-mediated hypersensitivity
  4. type IV delayed hypersensitivity

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

pratush dev

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1

Contact dermatitis is a classic example of a type IV reaction. In the healthcare setting, an allergic response to latex can produce contact dermatitis. A reaction to a wasp sting is an example of a type I reaction. Serum sickness is an example of a type III reaction. Autoimmune hemolytic anemia is an example of a type II reaction.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1

Common hypersensitivity reactions, such as allergic asthma, allergic rhinitis, allergic conjunctivitis, hives, and anaphylactic shock, are typical of type I or IgE-mediated hypersensitivity. This type of hypersensitivity response is triggered when an allergen interacts with IgE bound to mast cells and basophils. The antigenantibody complex prompts the release of histamine and other chemical mediators, complement, acetylcholine, kinins, and chemotactic factors. When a potent allergen such as bee or wasp venom or a drug is injected that results in widespread antibodyantigen reaction and response to these chemical mediators, a systemic response such as anaphylaxis, urticaria, or angioedema occurs. A hemolytic transfusion reaction to blood of an incompatible type is characteristic of a type II or cytotoxic hypersensitivity reaction. Type III hypersensitivity reactions result from the formation of IgG or IgM antibodyantigen immune complexes in the circulation, leading to tissue damage. Type IV delayed hypersensitivity reactions result from an exaggerated interaction between an antigen and normal cell-mediated mechanisms.

debasdf

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

bitingbit

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

About 600,000 particles of skin are shed every hour by each human. If you live to age 70 years, you have shed 105 pounds of dead skin.

Did you know?

The first oral chemotherapy drug for colon cancer was approved by FDA in 2001.

Did you know?

The top five reasons that children stay home from school are as follows: colds, stomach flu (gastroenteritis), ear infection (otitis media), pink eye (conjunctivitis), and sore throat.

Did you know?

Human stomach acid is strong enough to dissolve small pieces of metal such as razor blades or staples.

Did you know?

Sperm cells are so tiny that 400 to 500 million (400,000,000–500,000,000) of them fit onto 1 tsp.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library