This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: During a visit to a geneticist's practice a patient with blue eyes asks the nurse to explain eye ... (Read 21 times)

humphriesbr@me.com

During a visit to a geneticist's practice a patient with blue eyes asks the nurse to explain eye color, adding that his mother had blue eyes and his father had brown eyes. What should the nurse include in this explanation?

Select all that apply.
  1. You have two identical alleles that are responsible for your eye color.
  2. The alleles that are responsible for your eye color are heterozygous.
  3. Your eye color is the result of an expressed gene.
  4. Alleles are forms of a gene.
  5. Your eye color is just one part of your phenotype.

Question 2

While reviewing a male patient's history in the chart provided, the nurse becomes concerned. The patient states, I haven't been to see a physician in years, and it's time for me to get a thorough check-up.

Based on the nurse's understanding of genetically related diseases, which diagnostic screening examination may be ordered for this patient?

1. a mammogram
  2. a prostate exam
  3. a colonoscopy
  4. a cardiovascular assessment

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bbburns21

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2, 3, 4, 5
This patient has a blue-eyed mother and a brown-eyed father, so the patient has two different forms of the gene responsible for his eye color. The patient's alleles are heterozygous. The patient's blue eyes are the result of an expressed gene. An expressed gene impacts the patient's outward experience. Alleles are versions or forms of a gene. The patient's eye color is part of his phenotype. The phenotype is the patient's entire physical, biochemical, and physiologic makeup and is influenced by genetic and environmental factors.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
This patient should receive a cardiovascular assessment. The patient has an increased risk of being diagnosed with a cardiovascular disease because the patient has two family members that were diagnosed with cardiovascular disorders that developed early, when compared to other people. This patient does not necessarily have an increased risk of breast cancer because the patient's mother was diagnosed with breast cancer after the age of 50. The patient does not have an increased risk of prostate cancer because the patient's uncle was diagnosed with prostate cancer after the age of 60. The patient does not have an increased risk of developing colon cancer because the patient's sister was diagnosed with colon cancer after the age of 50.

humphriesbr@me.com

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

debra928

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

To prove that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not by stress, a researcher consumed an entire laboratory beaker full of bacterial culture. After this, he did indeed develop stomach ulcers, and won the Nobel Prize for his discovery.

Did you know?

The horizontal fraction bar was introduced by the Arabs.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was originally known as the Communicable Disease Center, which was formed to fight malaria. It was originally headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, since the Southern states faced the worst threat from malaria.

Did you know?

Approximately one in four people diagnosed with diabetes will develop foot problems. Of these, about one-third will require lower extremity amputation.

Did you know?

After 5 years of being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, one every three patients will no longer be able to work.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library