This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is concerned that a newly hired colleague is exhibiting signs of a substance abuse problem. ... (Read 30 times)

xroflmao

A nurse is concerned that a newly hired colleague is exhibiting signs of a substance abuse problem. What did the nurse observe to come to this conclusion?

Select all that apply.
  1. The new nurse is always sucking on mints and has applied strong-smelling cologne.
  2. The new nurse completes documentation and is prepared to give report at the end of the shift.
  3. The new nurse has volunteered to give medications to patients.
  4. The new nurse has displayed difficulty juggling his patient assignment and seems to be highly unorganized.
  5. The narcotic count at the end of the shift is off; two doses of morphine sulfate are missing.

Question 2

A patient admitted to an addiction detoxification unit has been prescribed medication to help with withdrawal symptoms. After reviewing the medication with the patient,

the nurse realizes that further education is required when the patient makes which statements?

Select all that apply.
  1. Naltrexone is an antidepressant.
  2. The Antabuse will help me with my cravings for heroin.
  3. The clordiazepoxide is also called Librium and it can help with my anxiety.
  4. The phenobarbital will help prevent me from having another seizure.
  5. I need folic acid and other vitamin supplements because I haven't eaten well for so long.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

stano32

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1, 3, 4, 5

Eating an excessive number of mints and wearing strong-smelling cologne can be used to mask odors of alcohol on the nurse's breath. Offering to give medications to patients is consistent with a substance use problem. Unorganized thinking and erratic behavior are consistent with a substance use problem. The narcotic count is off while this nurse is working; this is consistent with a nurse who uses narcotics from the hospital supply. Completing documentation and being prepared to give report at the end of the shift does not indicate a substance abuse problem.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1,2

Naltrexone (Vivitrol) helps diminish cravings for alcohol and opiates. It is not an antidepressant. Disulfiram (Antabuse) is given to patients to stop the breakdown of alcohol within the body and make the consequences of drinking alcohol more severe. Methadone will help block heroin cravings. Chlordiazepoxide (Librium) can be used to help with anxiety and prevent seizure activity. Phenobarbital can help prevent seizure activity. Vitamin supplements can help the patient with alcoholism because patients with alcoholism are more likely to have developed vitamin deficiencies.

xroflmao

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

apple

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

It is believed that the Incas used anesthesia. Evidence supports the theory that shamans chewed cocoa leaves and drilled holes into the heads of patients (letting evil spirits escape), spitting into the wounds they made. The mixture of cocaine, saliva, and resin numbed the site enough to allow hours of drilling.

Did you know?

In the United States, there is a birth every 8 seconds, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's Population Clock.

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

Did you know?

Atropine was named after the Greek goddess Atropos, the oldest and ugliest of the three sisters known as the Fates, who controlled the destiny of men.

Did you know?

Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness. As of yet, there is no cure. Everyone is at risk, and there may be no warning signs. It is six to eight times more common in African Americans than in whites. The best and most effective way to detect glaucoma is to receive a dilated eye examination.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library