Author Question: The nurse is instructing others on the use of hospice care. Which statements would indicate to the ... (Read 12 times)

cherise1989

The nurse is instructing others on the use of hospice care. Which statements would indicate to the nurse that the teaching session has been effective?

Select all that apply.
  1. Hospice care is designed for individuals with a terminal prognosis who cannot stay at the hospital.
  2. Hospice care is designed for individuals with a terminal prognosis who decide to spend their final days at home with their families.
  3. Hospice care is designed for individuals with a terminal prognosis who decide to stay in the hospital for symptom management.
  4. Hospice care is designed for individuals with a terminal prognosis who have to go into a hospice center for proper symptom management.
  5. Hospice care is designed for individuals with a terminal prognosis who decide to receive treatment for their symptoms at home, the hospital, or the hospice center.

Question 2

A patient diagnosed with terminal cancer tells the nurse that she knows everything about a living will. Upon assessment, the nurse realizes the patient needs additional instruction on this type of advance directive when the patient makes which statements?

Select all that apply.
  1. A living will is a document in which I designate someone to make healthcare-related decisions for me in the event I become unconscious.
  2. A living will is a document in which I designate someone to make healthcare and legal decisions for me in the event I become unconscious.
  3. A living will is a document in which I designate my personal wishes and which directions to follow in the event I become unconscious.
  4. A living will is a document in which I designate which directions to follow in the event I become unconscious, but the directions can be modified by my family.
  5. A living will is a document in which my family designates someone to make decisions for me in the event I become unconscious.

Laurenleakan

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2,3,5

Hospice care is a philosophy of care designed for the individual with a terminal prognosis and the individual's family members. Hospice care can be received in the home, hospital, hospice center, or community. Hospice services begin when the patient has 6 months or less to live and ends with the family 1 year after the death of the patient.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1,2,4,5

A living will is a document in which the patient designates those wishes and directions to follow in the event of terminal illness or permanent unconsciousness. A healthcare surrogate is an individual that the patient designates to make healthcare decisions for the patient in the event the patient is unable to do so. Durable power of attorney is a document that delegates the authority to make legal, healthcare, and financial decisions for the patient in the event the patient is unable to do so because of a change in health status. A living will is not created by the patient's family and cannot be modified by the family. A living will is not created for another person; therefore, the family cannot make a living will for a patient.