Author Question: A client who is in the clinic to be treated for a bacterial infection tells the nurse that life is ... (Read 84 times)

WWatsford

• Biology Forums!
A client who is in the clinic to be treated for a bacterial infection tells the nurse that life is difficult and might not be worth the effort. The nurse concludes:

1. that the bacterial infection has depressed the client.
  2. that the client might be a suicide risk.
  3. that the client is in a bad mood.
  4. that the client had a fight with family members.

Question 2

The nurse is performing an assessment on a client and determines that the client could be at risk for mental illness when the client states:

1. I am saving my money to own a top-of-the-line car.
  2. I am proud to say I am 35, own nothing, and am single.
  3. I enjoy being a Boy Scout leader.
  4. I am losing weight by eating healthier.

braelync

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 2

1. Bacterial infections can make clients feel out of sorts, but do not cause depression.
2. The nurse would investigate the client's statement with more assessment, because the client's statement denotes a loss of hope, which could be a risk factor for mental illness and suicide.
3. Most people in a bad mood are angry, maybe even rude, but not usually hopeless.
4. The client could have had an argument, but the nurse's concern is the client's hopeless statement as a marker for possible mental illness.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 2

1. Saving for a car denotes that the client is living in a real world, demonstrated by his understanding that saving is necessary to obtain desired objects.
2. The client who owns nothing and is single at 35 requires more investigation by the nurse. The client is not completing developmental tasks, and is possibly a loner, which could be an indicator of mental illness.
3. The client who enjoys being a Scout leader is contributing to society.
4. The client who is taking an interest in healthier living is demonstrating a positive attitude.