Author Question: How do I demonstrate appropriate response when stopped by a law enforcement officer? (Read 2725 times)

coco

j_sun

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

geoffrey

I don't advocate doing someones homework for them, but this will be my exception.......

Try not to be a jerk, be honest, don't cop (pardon the pun) an attitude, accept the ticket or citation with maturity, if you don't agree that is why you take it to court. Treat them with respect, remember the police officer most likely has a dash camera and a  body mic.

hummingbird

Be nice.  But feel free to exercise your rights only if you know them.  "Yes sir, no sir" works.  And if they put you in cuffs, don't start cursing them.

Jesse_J

When pulled over, pull your car to the side of the road, out of traffic. If not possible immediately, slow your car and signal with your turn signal that you are complying.

After you are at the side of the road, stay in your vehicle unless asked to step out by the officer. Provide your license when asked. If asked to, provide any other paperwork relevant to the auto (title and proof of insurance.)

You are not required to allow officers to search you vehicle, assuming you do not have illegal or dangerous items in plain sight (or someone pounding on your trunk lid from inside).

formula1

I have always pulled over, turned the car engine off.  Turn the interior light on, roll the window down, and put your hands in the 10 and 2 position.  Do all this before the cop gets to your car.  Wait until he asks you for you registration before leaning over and getting in the glove compartment.  Always say yes/no sir/ma'm.  Always tell the truth, if they catch you lying they will immediately give you a ticket.  One time I got pulled over for a seat belt violation, he asked me if there was any good reason I wasn't wearing my seatbelt and I said there wasn't.  He said "good answer" and let me go with a warning.

Hungry!

Show concerned body language and a smile, have your license,
registration and insurance card in hand (Michigan) and your hands
on the steering wheel. Respond; "can I help you officer ??)
from there, just be polite and don't argue.

federox

First, when you pull over to the side of the road, turn your wheels all the way toward the side of the road. Turn the engine off, and roll down your window. If its at night, turn on the dome light.  Place & keep both your hands on the steering wheel, in plain site at all times. Never take off your seatbelt or reach for your wallet/information till your asked to do so. If you have tinted windows in the back seat, roll them down as well. All of this will put the officer at ease, as he will know your not going to run or try to get away, he'll know that you are not trying to hide anything or get a weapon out, and allowing him to see in your vechicle takes away any surprises. When talking to the officer, be polite, but don't over do it with "Sir" this &"Sir" that. Remember, he is a person too, and he is just doing his job. (A very dangerous job at that!) And never, never give up your right to refuse a seach!! Even if you have nothing to hide, it is your RIGHT to refuse a search. Be respectful when asked, but don't allow them to search your vehicle.

aero

Follow his instructions.  Be polite an courteous  He should be the same.

federox

Ask him what the hell his problom is?Then tell him to piss off and flee.

Did you know?

To prove that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not by stress, a researcher consumed an entire laboratory beaker full of bacterial culture. After this, he did indeed develop stomach ulcers, and won the Nobel Prize for his discovery.

Did you know?

There are more nerve cells in one human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.

Did you know?

Approximately 25% of all reported medication errors result from some kind of name confusion.

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library