This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is diagnosed with epiglottis. For what should the nurse monitor the client? 1. Stridor ... (Read 36 times)

Jipu 123

A client is diagnosed with epiglottis. For what should the nurse monitor the client?

1. Stridor and use of accessory muscles.
  2. Increased nasal secretions.
  3. Severe sore throat.
  4. Deep cough.

Question 2

A client with strep throat is being discharged to home. Which client statement indicates that discharge teaching has been effective regarding antibiotic use?

1. I will take the medication until I feel better.
  2. If I miss my morning dose, I can double the dose at night.
  3. I will take the medication exactly as ordered.
  4. I do not have to take the medication at all.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kaykay69

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 1

1. Epiglottis is a medical emergency, often requiring intubation of the client until swelling subsides. For this reason, the nurse monitors the client for signs of worsening respiratory symptoms, which include stridor and use of accessory muscles when breathing.
2. Nasal secretions will not cause extreme respiratory distress except in the very small infant.
3. Severe sore throat is seen in bacterial pharyngitis.
4. The lower respiratory tract is not affected by epiglottis.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 3

1. Antibiotics are taken for about 2 weeks, even though the client feels better, because it takes that long to kill the bacteria. If the medication is stopped too soon, the client could relapse, and the bacteria can become resistant to the medication.
2. The client should be instructed not to double the dose because damage to the liver or kidneys could result.
3. The client should be instructed to take the medication exactly as ordered.
4. The client with a bacterial infection needs to take a full course of antibiotics.

Jipu 123

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

DylanD1323

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

Did you know?

Looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on your eyes. UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.

Did you know?

In the United States, congenital cytomegalovirus causes one child to become disabled almost every hour. CMV is the leading preventable viral cause of development disability in newborns. These disabilities include hearing or vision loss, and cerebral palsy.

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library