This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The client who had a heart transplant is ready for discharge from the hospital. The nurse instructs ... (Read 31 times)

codyclark

The client who had a heart transplant is ready for discharge from the hospital. The nurse instructs the client about self-care at home and determines that learning has occurred when the client states:

1. I should begin jogging in a few days.
  2. I need to protect myself against infection.
  3. I can take my medication only when needed.
  4. I am cured, and will have no more heart problems.

Question 2

The nurse is planning care for the client who will be returning to the unit after a cardiac transplant. A priority of care for this client would be:

1. Monitoring for bleeding.
  2. Frequent oral care.
  3. Keeping the skin clean and dry.
  4. Limiting visitation.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

joshraies

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 2

1. The heart transplant client will be encouraged to exercise, but activity is gradually increased, and jogging would be added later in the exercise plan.
2. Clients who have had any kind of transplant are taking immunosuppressive medications to reduce the risk of rejection. The client is more susceptible to infections, and should be instructed on methods of self-protection.
3. The medications the client is taking are on a strict timetable, and the client should be instructed to follow directions exactly.
4. The heart transplant client could continue to have the vascular problems that caused the heart to fail. These conditions continue to exist after transplant.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 1

1. One of the immediate needs of a postoperative transplant client is monitoring for bleeding, which includes monitoring blood pressure and cardiac output.
2. Oral care is important to prevent infection, but monitoring for bleeding is the priority.
3. Bleeding is one of the top priorities. When the client is reasonably stable, the nurse addresses skin care.
4. The nurse does not limit visitation unless the visitor shows signs of infection.

codyclark

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

ryansturges

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Approximately 500,000 babies are born each year in the United States to teenage mothers.

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

Did you know?

Most strokes are caused when blood clots move to a blood vessel in the brain and block blood flow to that area. Thrombolytic therapy can be used to dissolve the clot quickly. If given within 3 hours of the first stroke symptoms, this therapy can help limit stroke damage and disability.

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library