Author Question: The nurse is teaching a client about the newly prescribed medication digoxin (Lanoxin). Why should ... (Read 88 times)

vicky

The nurse is teaching a client about the newly prescribed medication digoxin (Lanoxin). Why should the nurse instruct the client to report signs of yellow- or green-colored vision?

1. Color changes indicate an allergic response to digoxin.
  2. The potassium level is in danger of being too high.
  3. Vision color changes indicate digoxin toxicity.
  4. The client is also taking antacids.

Question 2

The nurse is providing information to a client at a senior center regarding the manifestations of left- and right-sided heart failure. The nurse concludes that further teaching is necessary when the client states:

1. I will feel dizzy if the right side of my heart begins to fail.
  2. My feet will be swollen with right-sided failure.
  3. I will need pillows when I sleep with left-sided failure.
  4. My appetite might decrease with right-sided failure.

rachel

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 3

1. Symptoms of allergy usually take the form of rashes, or respiratory distress, in the extreme form.
2. Digoxin toxicity is accompanied by a decreased potassium level.
3. The client should be instructed to report vision color changes, as that is a symptom of digoxin toxicity.
4. Antacids tend to decrease the absorption of digoxin.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 1

1. Due to low cardiac output, the client with left-sided failure will experience dizziness.
2. Right-sided failure causes congestion in the vascular system with swelling in the feet and ankles.
3. Clients with left-sided failure might have trouble breathing while sleeping flat, and might need several extra pillows to ease respirations.
4. Due to vascular congestion, the client with right-sided failure might experience anorexia.