Author Question: The nurse is conducting a teaching session about pain with older adults at a senior center. Which ... (Read 70 times)

Bob-Dole

The nurse is conducting a teaching session about pain with older adults at a senior center. Which client statement indicates that further teaching is required?

1. I tend to accept chronic pain and underreport pain to the physician.
  2. I don't report my pain because I do not want to be addicted.
  3. I often take over-the-counter medications for pain.
  4. As I get older, my perception of pain will decrease.

Question 2

The nurse suspects that a client is experiencing pain caused by a mechanical process. Which stimuli are causing this client's pain? (Select all that apply.)

1. Spider bite
  2. Sore throat
  3. Steam burn
  4. Kidney stones
  5. Sprained ankle

joshraies

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 4

1. Many of the elderly do not report, or underreport, the incidence of pain.
2. The elder client might be concerned about becoming addicted when taking medication for chronic pain.
3. Due to expense and fear of addiction, the older client tends to self-medicate for pain with over-the-counter preparations.
4. There is no scientific evidence that links perception of pain decreasing with age.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 4, 5

1. A spider bite is a chemical stimulus for pain.
2. A sore throat is a chemical stimulus for pain.
3. A steam burn is a thermal stimulus for pain.
4. Kidney stones are a mechanical stimulus for pain.
5. A sprained ankle is a mechanical stimulus for pain.