Author Question: The nurse participates in a program in the community center for young adults about potential health ... (Read 30 times)

hubes95

The nurse participates in a program in the community center for young adults about potential health risks for this age group and measures that help reduce those risks. Which participant statement indicates that teaching has been effective?

1. I should make sure that my gun is always unloaded when not in use.
  2. I should only drink one beer when I am going to drive.
  3. I should limit my alcohol intake to 4 days a week.
  4. I am young, and will not be affected from occasional use of cocaine.

Question 2

While caring for an infant of 8 months who is in the office for a well-baby check and immunizations, the nurse notes that the infant has a beaded bracelet on its arm with symbols on it. Which action should the nurse take?

1. Take the bracelet off and give it to the mother.
  2. Ask the mother to remove the bracelet immediately.
  3. Inquire as to the cultural significance of the bracelet.
  4. Tell the mother that the baby could choke on the beads.

nathang24

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 1

1. If the client owns a gun, it is best that the gun be unloaded when not in use and that the safety be on.
2. Since everyone metabolizes liquor differently, the client who is driving should not drink at all.
3. Drinking alcohol on a regular basis can be the beginning of addiction and dependence.
4. Cocaine can cause severe cardiovascular ramifications at any age and is to be avoided.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 3

1. The nurse should not remove the bracelet or ask the mother to remove the bracelet, as this could be a cultural or religious talisman.
2. The nurse should not remove the bracelet or ask the mother to remove the bracelet, as this could be a cultural or religious talisman.
3. The nurse should inquire about the bracelet and then decide with the parent what other options might be safe for the infant.
4. The baby could choke on the beads, but to just state that without any sensitivity could result in the mother's not listening to anything the nurse suggests. The goal is the infant's safety, and diplomacy is needed in this situation.