This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An older adult client experiences an extended hospitalization due to a chronic illness. The client ... (Read 45 times)

melly21297

An older adult client experiences an extended hospitalization due to a chronic illness. The client states to the nurse, I don't know how I can pay for this hospital stay and afford all of the new medication that I have been prescribed.

Which response by the nurse is the most appropriate?
  A) I'll have someone from the business office come and talk to you about your bill.
  B) You need to focus on recovering and stop worrying about money.
  C) Much of your care will be covered by Medicare.
  D) Don't worry. I'm sure everything will work out okay.

Question 2

A client is receiving care in the hospital for life-threatening injuries sustained in a motor vehicle crash and is taken immediately to surgery.

There is no family available to provide consent; however, the client's medical record is available and reviewed by the nurse. Which treatments are inappropriate in this situation?
  Select all that apply.
  A) Emergency surgery
  B) Treatment that was previously refused
  C) Treatment that violates religious beliefs
  D) Medications to treat the injury
  E) Experimental medications for a research study

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jsm54321

Answer to Question 1

Answer: C

The Medicare amendment to the Social Security Act provided a national and state health insurance program for older adults. By the mid-1970s, virtually everyone over 65 years of age was protected by hospital insurance under Part A. In 1988, Congress expanded Medicare to include extremely expensive hospital care, catastrophic care, and expensive drugs. Ignoring the client's concerns by telling him not to worry is not therapeutic communication and does little, if anything, to confront the client's concerns. Giving the concern to the business office is merely passing the buck. Nurses should have some knowledge about the payment sources of their clients, especially those who have automatic coverage with Medicare because of their age.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B, C, E

In most states, the law assumes an individual's consent to medical treatment when the person is in imminent danger of loss of life or limb and unable to give informed consent. In other words, the emergency doctrine assumes that the individual would reasonably consent to treatment if able to do so. This doctrine serves as a guiding principle that permits healthcare providers to perform potentially life-saving procedures under circumstances that make it impossible or impractical to obtain consent. Treatment that was previously refused or violates the client's documented religious beliefs are not appropriate. Experimental medications that are being initiated in conjunction with a research study are also not appropriate.

melly21297

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
:D TYSM

milbourne11

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

Did you know?

If you could remove all of your skin, it would weigh up to 5 pounds.

Did you know?

Your chance of developing a kidney stone is 1 in 10. In recent years, approximately 3.7 million people in the United States were diagnosed with a kidney disease.

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

Did you know?

The FDA recognizes 118 routes of administration.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library