Author Question: A home health nurse is working with a client who has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Which ... (Read 51 times)

roselinechinyere27m

A home health nurse is working with a client who has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Which nursing diagnosis will take the highest priority for implementing client education?

A) Impaired Gas Exchange
  B) Ineffective Breathing Pattern
  C) Anxiety
  D) Activity Intolerance

Question 2

A client who had outpatient surgery is given an instruction sheet in preparation for discharge.

When the nurse asks if the instructions are clear, the client says, I'll read them later when I have my glasses; besides, you told me everything I need to know. Based on these statements, what would the nurse suspect?
  A) The client may be unable to read the instructions.
  B) The client already knows the information.
  C) The client does not want the written information.
  D) The client is ready to learn.

kaylee05

Answer to Question 1

Answer: A

All of these nursing diagnoses are appropriate for the client who is experiencing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, but the priority for the nurse to address is impaired gas exchange. If the client's oxygen level is too low, or the carbon dioxide level is too high, the client's life may be threatened. This client will also experience activity intolerance, anxiety, and, at times, ineffective breathing patterns, but the priority diagnosis is Impaired Gas Exchange.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: A

The client who refuses to read instructions may not be able to read. The nurse should assess the client's ability to read to ensure proper treatment and to evaluate the client's understanding of the information. It is unlikely that the client does not want the information. Although the nurse did provide verbal instruction, often clients forget portions due to the amount of information presented at discharge. The client may be ready to learn, but the client's inability to read may be masking that fact.