This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse has just received a shift report for a 12-hour shift. As the nurse is preparing to enter a ... (Read 63 times)

tnt_battle

A nurse has just received a shift report for a 12-hour shift. As the nurse is preparing to enter a client's room, the nurse overhears a coworker telling an offensive joke with a sexual undertone to the client.

Which action by the nurse is appropriate?
  A) Tell the nurse, in private, that such conduct is offensive and not professional.
  B) Ignore the coworker and walk away.
  C) Report the incident to the nurse manager.
  D) Ask to be scheduled opposite this coworker.

Question 2

A female nurse is caring for a 21-year-old male client with a questionable gastrointestinal blockage. The healthcare provider prescribes an enema. Which reaction by the client does the nurse anticipate when planning care?

A) May I have a visitor as support in the room?
  B) I would rather have my doctor perform this procedure.
  C) I have never had an enema before.
  D) I am afraid of having an enema.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

katieost

Answer to Question 1

Answer: A

Nurses must develop skills of assertiveness to deter sexual harassment in the workplace. Telling the coworker to stop, and why, is the first step in putting an end to the situation. Ignoring the situation or asking to be scheduled opposite this individual is not addressing the situation in an assertive manner. Reporting the incident to the nurse manager would be a second step if the behavior doesn't stop after the nurse's approach.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B

The nurse would anticipate that most young adults will be embarrassed by this procedure when the nurse and young client are of different genders. When the client states that the doctor could perform the enema, the client is probably acting on embarrassment and on the assumption that the doctor is male. The nurse should approach the client beforehand to address the issue. Most clients would only experience annoyance, not fear for this procedure. A client who has never experienced an enema is exhibiting a lack of knowledge, which is not usually the case for a 21-year-old; most people of that age have experienced an enema. The nurse would definitely not expect the client to request the presence of another individual in the room for an intimate procedure.

tnt_battle

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

scottmt

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

Did you know?

Bacteria have been found alive in a lake buried one half mile under ice in Antarctica.

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library