This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is teaching a client about a dressing change that should be done three times a day. The ... (Read 33 times)

ashley

A nurse is teaching a client about a dressing change that should be done three times a day. The client is from a culture that is present oriented. Based on this data, at which times will the nurse tell the client to perform the dressing change

A) At times that the client selects, as long as they are 8 hours apart
  B) At 9 a.m., 3 p.m., and 9 p.m.
  C) Whenever the client chooses, as long as it gets done three times daily
  D) After breakfast, lunch, and dinner

Question 2

A toddler who is admitted to the pediatric unit is crying and scared. No treatment has been initiated at this point. The nurse needs to start an IV, and the parent asks, Can I stay with my child and help through the procedure?

In providing care for the family, which response by the nurse is appropriate?
  A) I can teach you ways to help your child throughout the procedure if you would like to be involved.
  B) We do this all the time, so don't worry. I will come get you when we are done
  C) Be ready to hold the child down when I tell you to.
  D) I will be very quick so there is no need for you to stay for the procedure.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Missbam101

Answer to Question 1

Answer: D

For clients who are present oriented, it is important to avoid fixed schedules. The nurse can offer a time range for activities and treatments, such as in the morning or after breakfast, and in the evening or before going to bed. It is not necessary for the dressing changes to be 8 hours apart. Relating the dressing changes to regular daily activities would fit better with the client who is not focused on times of the day, such as 9 a.m., 3 p.m., and 9 p.m. Leaving it up to the client to do at any time so long as it is three times a day does not allow for any regularity in the dressing changes.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: A

A part of nurse competency is knowing the procedures to follow when performing skills. The nurse who is going to initiate an IV on a pediatric client should always seek assistance from the parent if the parent is willing and capable of offering assistance. Telling the parents that they need to hold the child without giving them a
Choice is not appropriate; many parents do not want to participate in activities that cause pain to their child. The nurse does not know how long the procedure will be, and telling the parent not to worry is pointless.

ashley

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

adammoses97

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

Did you know?

Asthma-like symptoms were first recorded about 3,500 years ago in Egypt. The first manuscript specifically written about asthma was in the year 1190, describing a condition characterized by sudden breathlessness. The treatments listed in this manuscript include chicken soup, herbs, and sexual abstinence.

Did you know?

Certain rare plants containing cyanide include apricot pits and a type of potato called cassava. Fortunately, only chronic or massive ingestion of any of these plants can lead to serious poisoning.

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

Did you know?

The average adult has about 21 square feet of skin.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library