Author Question: What is the proper format for a legal opinion? (Read 964 times)

Jesse_J

I'm an undergrad in my first constitutional law class.  The instructor is VERY vague and heavy on the "figure it out for yourself" philosophy.

I have to write a legal opinion on a particular case (Pearson v. Callahan) and I don't know how to format the opinion.

It's supposed to be 8-12 pages, does that seem a little excessive for an opinion?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

formula1

Legal opinions can be lengthy, although I suspect 8-12 pages is more of a homework requirement than a legal one.

As far as the format, look a few up on the interent, and format yours in a similar manner.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

coco

Go visit law librarian and ask where books of precedents are kept. Ask whether certain opinions may require certain type of format. Probably not but Illinois is a somewhat unique jurisdiction.

What you're looking for here is which arguments were rejected outright, putting paid to a certain line reasoning on those circs, and which may still be open to litigants in certain circs. Basically, you have to examine the limits to assess which of these arguments flies and if so, whether in some circs you'll have to work harder to find more/more persuasive evidence of a certain kind.

Did you know?

The highest suicide rate in the United States is among people ages 65 years and older. Almost 15% of people in this age group commit suicide every year.

Did you know?

Malaria was not eliminated in the United States until 1951. The term eliminated means that no new cases arise in a country for 3 years.

Did you know?

Blastomycosis is often misdiagnosed, resulting in tragic outcomes. It is caused by a fungus living in moist soil, in wooded areas of the United States and Canada. If inhaled, the fungus can cause mild breathing problems that may worsen and cause serious illness and even death.

Did you know?

The human body's pharmacokinetics are quite varied. Our hair holds onto drugs longer than our urine, blood, or saliva. For example, alcohol can be detected in the hair for up to 90 days after it was consumed. The same is true for marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, heroin, methamphetamine, and nicotine.

Did you know?

All patients with hyperparathyroidism will develop osteoporosis. The parathyroid glands maintain blood calcium within the normal range. All patients with this disease will continue to lose calcium from their bones every day, and there is no way to prevent the development of osteoporosis as a result.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library