Author Question: The nurse is discharging a client diagnosed with general anxiety disorder (GAD). The client is ... (Read 32 times)

fbq8i

The nurse is discharging a client diagnosed with general anxiety disorder (GAD). The client is prescribed a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).

Which statement made by the client would indicate to the nurse a need for further education?
  A) This medicine could make me feel like I have the jitters.
  B) I may experience some nausea while on this medication.
  C) My doctor will start me off on a high dose and then decrease the dose.
  D) This medicine alters the levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain.

Question 2

The nurse is admitting a client with panic anxiety to the behavioral health unit. Which clinical manifestations would indicate that the client's anxiety is at a panic level of severity?

Select all that apply.
  A) Inability to focus
  B) Dilated pupils
  C) Feelings of doom
  D) Self-absorption
  E) Rapid speech

pratush dev

Answer to Question 1

Answer: C

SSRIs are generally started at low doses and then increased as their effectiveness becomes apparent; therefore this statement made by the client is inaccurate and does indicate a lack of understanding and the need for further teaching. The other statements are accurate so do not require further teaching.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: A, B, C

An inability to focus, dilated pupils, and a feeling of doom are clinical manifestations that a client could experience at the panic level of severity of anxiety. Self-absorption and rapid speech could indicate that a client is experiencing anxiety at a moderate level of severity.