Author Question: During a routine physical examination, a preadolescent tells the nurse, I am too fat and I'm going ... (Read 28 times)

CQXA

During a routine physical examination, a preadolescent tells the nurse, I am too fat and I'm going to do whatever I can to look like the girls on the cover of fashion magazines.

The nurse plans care for this client based on which risk factor for eating disorders?
  A) A desire for a long-term profession
  B) Societal influences on body weight for girls
  C) Unrealistic expectations
  D) Family influences on body weight

Question 2

A client, learning that her baby has died in utero, is planning to carry the baby until natural delivery because abortion is against her religion. Which is the client demonstrating based on this data?

A) Fear of retribution
  B) Morals
  C) A healthy decision
  D) Sound judgement

connor417

Answer to Question 1

Answer: B

Risk factors for the development of eating disorders include female gender, age, and societal influences including media stereotypes. The client is a preadolescent female who wants to look like the girls on the covers of fashion magazines. The client may be demonstrating unrealistic behavior; however, the risk factors are the client's age, gender, and desire to look like those in fashion magazines. No information is given about the family's influences on the client's body weight. The client may or may not be expressing a desire for a long-term profession.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B

Religion and morals can at times be interrelated within health care. The client wants to maintain the baby until natural delivery occurs because having an abortion would be against her religion. The client is demonstrating her morals. The client may or may not be demonstrating sound judgment or a healthy decision. The nurse has no way of knowing if the client is in fear of retribution.