This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a Chinese client who just had abdominal surgery. The client's nonverbal cues ... (Read 55 times)

nmorano1

The nurse is caring for a Chinese client who just had abdominal surgery. The client's nonverbal cues indicate pain, but the client denies the need for pain medication. Which action by the nurse is appropriate?

A) Seek out a family member to convince the client to take the medication.
  B) Consult with the healthcare provider about providing pain medication without the client's knowledge.
  C) Offer the pain medication to the client again, stating that providing comfort is the nurse's most important responsibility.
  D) Allow the client to suffer in silence.

Question 2

The client is admitted to the hospital following a miscarriage, and she is septic. The healthcare provider orders antibiotics, which the client refuses, stating, I don't deserve them. I lost my baby because I had sex outside of marriage.

Which is the appropriate response by the nurse?
  A) I'll notify your healthcare provider about your decision.
  B) Do you think you should be punished because you had a miscarriage?
  C) I think you need to do what is best for you.
  D) You have a serious infection and really need the medication.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

phuda

Answer to Question 1

Answer: C

Members of the Chinese culture will typically not complain of pain or physical problems because they are taught self-restraint and the priority of the group over individual needs. Many people of this culture will consider refusal of something offered as a gesture of courtesy. The nurse should take these into account and offer the pain medication to the client.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: D

Telling the client she needs the medication is providing the best care possible. Telling the client she needs to do what is best is inappropriate; the nurse knows she needs the medication. Calling the healthcare provider is inappropriate; the nurse knows the client needs the medication. Asking the client if she thinks she should be punished is inappropriate; she is septic and needs the medication.

Did you know?

During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds caused by hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.

Did you know?

Never take aspirin without food because it is likely to irritate your stomach. Never give aspirin to children under age 12. Overdoses of aspirin have the potential to cause deafness.

Did you know?

Malaria was not eliminated in the United States until 1951. The term eliminated means that no new cases arise in a country for 3 years.

Did you know?

Throughout history, plants containing cardiac steroids have been used as heart drugs and as poisons (e.g., in arrows used in combat), emetics, and diuretics.

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library