Author Question: A nurse is caring for a client who is pregnant and requires IV antibiotic therapy for treatment of ... (Read 34 times)

asmith134

A nurse is caring for a client who is pregnant and requires IV antibiotic therapy for treatment of pyelonephritis.

Prior to administering the medication, the nurse discovers the medication is Category B for pregnancy. When planning care for this client, which will the nurse take into consideration regarding this medication?
  A) Controlled studies in women have demonstrated no associated fetal risk.
  B) There have been no controlled studies in women in particular, but controlled human studies have failed to demonstrate a risk.
  C) Animal studies show teratogenic effects, but no controlled studies in women are available.
  D) Evidence of human fetal risk exists, but the benefits of the drug in certain situations are thought to outweigh the risks.

Question 2

The nurse is doing preconception counseling with an adult client with no prior pregnancies. Which client statement indicates that teaching has been effective?

A) I can continue to drink alcohol throughout my pregnancy.
  B) A beer once a week will not damage the fetus.
  C) I don't need to stop drinking alcohol until my pregnancy is confirmed.
  D) I can't drink alcohol while breastfeeding, because it will pass into the breast milk.

rachel

Answer to Question 1

Answer: B

To provide information for caregivers and clients, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has developed a classification system for all medications administered during pregnancy. This system can be used to help determine the risk of prenatal substance exposure from use of legal medications whether they are abused or prescribed by a physician. In Category C, there have been no controlled studies in women in particular, but controlled human studies have failed to demonstrate a risk. The other choices are for additional classifications, not Category C.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: D
Women should discontinue drinking alcohol when they attempt to become pregnant. It is not known how much alcohol will cause fetal damage; therefore, any amount of alcohol, even one beer, during pregnancy is contraindicated. Alcohol passes readily into breast milk; therefore, it should be avoided, or the milk should be pumped and dumped after alcohol consumption.