Author Question: The nurse is assessing a postmenopausal client. Which client statement should indicate the need for ... (Read 20 times)

stock

The nurse is assessing a postmenopausal client. Which client statement should indicate the need for further assessment by the nurse?

A) I use water-soluble lubricant to treat my vaginal dryness.
  B) For some reason, I have more sexual desire than ever.
  C) Sex certainly takes longer than it used to, but I'm getting used to that.
  D) I am so glad that I don't need to worry about sex anymore.

Question 2

A nurse is caring for a client who is perimenopausal who states that she has recently had frequent bacterial vaginal infections.

Which reason for these infections will the nurse include in the response to the client?
  A) Decreased vaginal pH
  B) Increased vaginal pH
  C) Increased estrogen level
  D) Decreased vasomotor stability

fauacakatahaias

Answer to Question 1

Answer: D

The nurse would further assess the client who made the statement, I am so glad that I don't need to worry about sex anymore. This statement is unclear. Does it mean that the client is glad not to have to engage in sex anymore, or does it mean that she will not have to worry about getting pregnant anymore? The other statements reflect normal changes associated with aging and healthy responses to those changes.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B

In the perimenopausal client, the vaginal pH increases, predisposing the client to bacterial vaginal infections. In perimenopause, estrogen levels decrease, not increase. Decreased vasomotor stability leads to hot flashes, not vaginal bacterial infections.