Author Question: The home care nurse assesses an older adult client's blood pressure as being 150/100 mmHg. When ... (Read 97 times)

asan beg

The home care nurse assesses an older adult client's blood pressure as being 150/100 mmHg.

When reviewing medications, the client reports taking the blood pressure medication only when feeling tense. Which instruction from the nurse is most appropriate based on the data provided?
  A) Continue to take medication when feeling tense.
  B) Take the blood pressure medication as prescribed regardless of feeling tense.
  C) Take the blood pressure medication at twice the prescribed dosage for 1 day and then resume the daily schedule.
  D) Contact the healthcare provider for an increase in blood pressure medication.

Question 2

The nurse instructs a client about the medication nifedipine (Procardia) for hypertension. Which client statement indicates that additional teaching is needed?

A) This medication will cause my ankles to swell, which is normal.
  B) I need to drink 6-8 glasses of water each day.
  C) I will call my doctor if I gain weight or become short of breath.
  D) I need to eat foods high in fiber when taking this medication.

kardosa007

Answer to Question 1

Answer: B

Clients sometimes mistakenly take blood pressure medication only on an as-needed basis. This is incorrect; the client should take the medication as prescribed on a daily basis. The dosage prescribed may be appropriate if taken daily; therefore, it would not need to be increased. To advise the client to increase the medication without consultation with the healthcare provider would be out of the scope of nursing practice.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: A

Swelling in the feet or ankles when taking this medication should be reported to the healthcare provider. This medication can cause constipation, so drinking 6-8 glasses of water each day and increasing fiber in the diet are appropriate interventions cited by the client. The client should notify the healthcare provider with weight gain or shortness of breath.