This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client with chronic hip pain is diagnosed with osteoarthritis. Which instruction regarding home ... (Read 22 times)

humphriesbr@me.com

A client with chronic hip pain is diagnosed with osteoarthritis. Which instruction regarding home safety is the most appropriate for the nurse to provide to this client?

A) Walk up and down the steps at home as much as possible.
  B) Rest in a recliner.
  C) Place scatter rugs in high-traffic areas.
  D) Install grab bars in the bathroom near the commode and in the shower.

Question 2

A client with osteoarthritis tells the nurse about having difficulty walking to the bathroom first thing in the morning. Which nursing action would assist this client?

A) Suggest a family member provide the client with a bedpan.
  B) Discuss the option of residing in an assisted-living facility.
  C) Consult with Physical Therapy for an assistive walking device such as a walker or cane.
  D) Suggest using a bedside commode at home.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Brummell1998

Answer to Question 1

Answer: D

The client should be encouraged to install grab bars in the bathroom near the commode and in the shower. The client should be instructed not to overuse the affected joints with excessive stair climbing. Scatter rugs are a hazard to mobility and should be avoided. The client should be instructed to sit in a straight-back chair, avoid slumping, and avoid the use of a recliner.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: C

Assistive devices are items used to maintain, increase, or improve function. The client states difficulty with walking in the morning to the bathroom. The best intervention to help this client would be to consult with Physical Therapy for an assistive walking device such as a walker or cane. The use of a bedside commode or bedpan may help with the immediate need to use the bathroom but the client will still have difficulty ambulating in the morning. The option of residing in an assisted-living facility might be premature for this client.

humphriesbr@me.com

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Viet Thy

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Approximately 70% of expectant mothers report experiencing some symptoms of morning sickness during the first trimester of pregnancy.

Did you know?

Nearly 31 million adults in America have a total cholesterol level that is more than 240 mg per dL.

Did you know?

Eating food that has been cooked with poppy seeds may cause you to fail a drug screening test, because the seeds contain enough opiate alkaloids to register as a positive.

Did you know?

On average, the stomach produces 2 L of hydrochloric acid per day.

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library