This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is teaching a mother warning signs and symptoms to watch for in her child, who will be ... (Read 31 times)

armygirl

A nurse is teaching a mother warning signs and symptoms to watch for in her child, who will be discharged with a full leg cast. Which statements by the mother indicate the need for further instruction?

Select all that apply.
  A) If her foot turns white and cold, I should call the call the physical therapist.
  B) I can expect that my child will have some pain but the medicine should help.
  C) We can use a blow drier on low to help with the itching that my child will experience.
  D) We can cut a hole in the cast if the foot swells until we get to the doctor's office.
  E) It is ok that the plaster cast gets damp as long as I blow dry it.

Question 2

The nurse is planning care for a young school-age client newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus. The child's mother appears unconcerned with the diagnosis and is complaining about the cost of medication, as three additional children in the family h

On which nursing diagnoses should the nurse focus when planning this client's care?
  Select all that apply.
  A) Chronic Pain
  B) Knowledge Deficit
  C) Ineffective Coping (Family)
  D) Risk for Unstable Blood Glucose
  E) Risk for Injury

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

asware1

Answer to Question 1

Answer: A, C, D, E

The only state that indicates appropriate understanding of the teaching is that the child may have pain that will be relieved by the pain medication. All other statements indicate a need for further instruction.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B, C, D

Because the child is young school-age, the mother will need to learn how to provide the insulin injections; however, the mother is unconcerned with the diagnosis. This is a Knowledge Deficit. The mother's complaint about the cost of medication would cause the client to have a Risk for Unstable Blood Glucose, as it is unknown whether the mother is going to ensure the child has the required medication. The family has a total of four children and the mother is concerned with money for medication, as there are three additional children with needs. This could lead to Ineffective Family Coping. There is no evidence to support the diagnoses of Chronic Pain or Risk for Injury with this client.

armygirl

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

recede

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Cancer has been around as long as humankind, but only in the second half of the twentieth century did the number of cancer cases explode.

Did you know?

There are major differences in the metabolism of morphine and the illegal drug heroin. Morphine mostly produces its CNS effects through m-receptors, and at k- and d-receptors. Heroin has a slight affinity for opiate receptors. Most of its actions are due to metabolism to active metabolites (6-acetylmorphine, morphine, and morphine-6-glucuronide).

Did you know?

Asthma is the most common chronic childhood disease in the world. Most children who develop asthma have symptoms before they are 5 years old.

Did you know?

ACTH levels are normally highest in the early morning (between 6 and 8 A.M.) and lowest in the evening (between 6 and 11 P.M.). Therefore, a doctor who suspects abnormal levels looks for low ACTH in the morning and high ACTH in the evening.

Did you know?

It is difficult to obtain enough calcium without consuming milk or other dairy foods.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library