This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse provides discharge teaching for a client with peptic ulcer disease (PUD). Which client ... (Read 37 times)

iveyjurea

The nurse provides discharge teaching for a client with peptic ulcer disease (PUD). Which client statement indicates that teaching has been effective?

A) I will drink more milk and limit spicy foods.
  B) I will take ibuprofen (Motrin) for my headaches.
  C) I will limit my intake of coffee.
  D) I will join a gym and increase my exercise.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a client who receives H2-receptor antagonists for the treatment of peptic ulcer disease. Based on the nursing diagnosis Risk for Bleeding, which assessment finding should the nurse report immediately to the healthcare provider?

A) The client who reports pain after 24 hours of treatment
  B) The client who reports episodes of melena
  C) The client who reports he is constipated
  D) The client who reports he took TUMS  antacids with his H2-receptor antagonist

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ririgirl15

Answer to Question 1

Answer: C

Specific foods to eat or avoid are not currently encouraged for the treatment of peptic ulcer disease. Caffeine is a risk factor for PUD, so limiting caffeinated products such as coffee will be beneficial in the treatment of it. There is no correlation between exercise and the management of PUD. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are a primary cause of PUD.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B

Melena could indicate GI bleeding and should be reported to the physician immediately. The client may still experience pain for several days with this type of medication. Taking TUMS  antacids with an H2-receptor antagonist will cause deceased absorption of the H2-receptor antagonist, but this does not need to be reported to the healthcare provider; the nurse should educate the client. Constipation is a common side effect that does not need to be immediately reported to the healthcare provider.

Did you know?

Studies show that systolic blood pressure can be significantly lowered by taking statins. In fact, the higher the patient's baseline blood pressure, the greater the effect of statins on his or her blood pressure.

Did you know?

About 3% of all pregnant women will give birth to twins, which is an increase in rate of nearly 60% since the early 1980s.

Did you know?

Drying your hands with a paper towel will reduce the bacterial count on your hands by 45–60%.

Did you know?

Approximately 25% of all reported medication errors result from some kind of name confusion.

Did you know?

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends that all women age 65 years of age or older should be screened with bone densitometry.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library