This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client with a head injury is demonstrating signs of increased intracranial pressure (IICP). Which ... (Read 37 times)

gbarreiro

A client with a head injury is demonstrating signs of increased intracranial pressure (IICP). Which classifications of medications should the nurse prepare to administer to this client?

Select all that apply.
  A) Loop diuretics
  B) Antibiotics
  C) Anticonvulsants
  D) Histamine H2 antagonists
  E) Antipyretics

Question 2

The nurse instructs an older adult client with arthritis on the side effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) therapy.

Which client statement would indicate that teaching had been effective?
  A) I will report any abnormal bruising.
  B) Caffeine will decrease the effectiveness of the medication.
  C) I cannot take other medications.
  D) If I have a change in my mood I will call the prescriber.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

princessflame2016

Answer to Question 1

Answer: A, C, D, E

Medications play an important role in the management of IICP. Loop diuretics are commonly used to reduce ICP. Antipyretics such as acetaminophen are used alone or in combination with a hypothermia blanket to treat hyperthermia. Anticonvulsants are often required to manage seizure activity associated with brain injury and IICP. Gastrointestinal prophylaxis with intravenous histamine H2 antagonists are often used because clients with IICP are at increased risk for developing stress gastritis and ulcers. Antibiotics are not routinely prescribed as treatment for IICP.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: A

Older adult clients are at risk for increased bleeding with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) therapy. The client should be taught to report any abnormal bruising, which may indicate bleeding. Older adult clients often take several medications, and refraining from taking them with NSAIDs is an unrealistic outcome. Mood changes are not a side effect of NSAID therapy. There is no reason for avoiding use of caffeine while using an NSAID.

gbarreiro

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

Chelseyj.hasty

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

Did you know?

Recent studies have shown that the number of medication errors increases in relation to the number of orders that are verified per pharmacist, per work shift.

Did you know?

About 100 new prescription or over-the-counter drugs come into the U.S. market every year.

Did you know?

Adolescents often feel clumsy during puberty because during this time of development, their hands and feet grow faster than their arms and legs do. The body is therefore out of proportion. One out of five adolescents actually experiences growing pains during this period.

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library