Author Question: The nurse is collecting a health history for a client being seen in an outpatient clinic who ... (Read 66 times)

lindiwe

The nurse is collecting a health history for a client being seen in an outpatient clinic who complains of joint pain and swelling that have lasted for about 2 months.

The client is diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). When planning care for this client, which statement supports the nursing diagnosis of Activity Intolerance?
  A) I seem to get tired early in the day and require a nap.
  B) My joints are stiffest at night before I go to sleep.
  C) I find it difficult to move when I first get up in the morning.
  D) I take ibuprofen for the pain as needed.

Question 2

A client recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) asks the nurse if the disease is caused by ethnicity. Which response by the nurse is the most appropriate?

A) RA affects those of German descent most often.
  B) RA is most prevalent in Caucasian females.
  C) RA is most prevalent in men under the age of 20 years.
  D) RA affects all races at the same rate.

meganmoser117

Answer to Question 1

Answer: A

One hallmark symptom of RA is extreme fatigue. The client's statement regarding the need for a nap supports the inclusion of Activity Intolerance in the plan of care. , The nurse would teach the client about frequent rest periods during the day to conserve energy. The client with RA will be stiff early in the morning, but that would not interfere with activities later in the day. Joints of the RA client are stiffest in the morning. Taking ibuprofen for pain does not affect the ability for activity.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: D

RA affects 12 of the total population across all races. It affects women 3 times more than men, and the onset is usually between the ages of 20 and 40 years.