This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is preparing to assess a client when one of the client's family members begins showing ... (Read 44 times)

hubes95

The nurse is preparing to assess a client when one of the client's family members begins showing symptoms of a latex sensitivity. Which action by the nurse is the most appropriate?

A) Ask the family member to leave the unit.
  B) Transfer the client to a department that does not use latex products.
  C) Wait until Monday to report the problem to the supervisor of the unit.
  D) Obtain latex-free products for the client's room.

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a mother how to administer optical antibiotics to her child who has conjunctivitis. Which statement made by the mother indicates teaching has been effective?

A) I will drop the medication onto the eyeball.
  B) I will wait 10 seconds between drops.
  C) I will wash my hands before instilling the medication.
  D) I will rub the eye with a cotton ball after I administer the medication.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

vboyd24

Answer to Question 1

Answer: D

When symptoms of sensitivity to latex occur on exposure, latex-free products should be supplied. Transferring the client to a department that does not use latex products is not realistic because the family member might experience exposure on another unit. (No hospital unit can be latex-free.) Waiting until Monday does not solve the problem. Asking the family member to leave would be a violation of the client's right's.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: C

Teach the client to wash hands thoroughly before and after instilling eye medications. Handwashing is the single most important means of preventing transmission of infection. Medication is dropped into the lower conjunctival sac and should not be rubbed after instillation. The time between drops is 1-5 minutes, depending on the type of medication. The medication is not dropped on the eyeball but in the conjunctival sac of the lower lid.

hubes95

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

31809pancho

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

Did you know?

Lower drug doses for elderly patients should be used first, with titrations of the dose as tolerated to prevent unwanted drug-related pharmacodynamic effects.

Did you know?

Blood is approximately twice as thick as water because of the cells and other components found in it.

Did you know?

According to animal studies, the typical American diet is damaging to the liver and may result in allergies, low energy, digestive problems, and a lack of ability to detoxify harmful substances.

Did you know?

Cutaneous mucormycosis is a rare fungal infection that has been fatal in at least 29% of cases, and in as many as 83% of cases, depending on the patient's health prior to infection. It has occurred often after natural disasters such as tornados, and early treatment is essential.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library