Author Question: The nurse is caring for a client admitted with a diagnosis of acute renal failure. The client asks ... (Read 108 times)

crazycityslicker

The nurse is caring for a client admitted with a diagnosis of acute renal failure. The client asks the nurse, Are my kidneys failing? Will I need a kidney transplant? Which response by the nurse is the most appropriate?

A) No, don't think that. You're going to be fine.
  B) Your condition can be reversed with prompt treatment and usually will not destroy the kidney.
  C) Kidney transplantation is highly likely, and it would be a good idea to start talking to family members.
  D) When the doctor comes to see you, we can talk about whether you will need a transplant.

Question 2

The nurse is instructing a client with heart failure about a prescribed sodium-restricted diet. Which client statement indicates that additional teaching is required?

A) I can use as much salt substitute as I want.
  B) I have to read the labels on foods to find out the sodium content.
  C) I have to limit the intake of food with baking soda or baking powder.
  D) I can use spices and lemon juice to add flavor to food when cooking.

kusterl

Answer to Question 1

Answer: B

Acute renal failure is often resolved without the need for transplant if treatment is initiated quickly. There is no need to start lining up donors or wait for the provider to arrive to explore options. Telling the client that everything will be fine is condescending, provides no information, and is not within the nurse's ability to know.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: A

Low-sodium salt substitutes are not really sodium-free. They may contain half as much sodium as regular salt. The client should be instructed to use salt substitutes sparingly because larger amounts often taste bitter instead of salty. Clients should be instructed to read food labels for the amount of sodium in the food item. Baking soda and baking powder contain sodium and should be restricted on a sodium-restricted diet. In place of salt or salt substitutes, the client should be instructed to use herbs, spices, lemon juice, vinegar, and wine as flavoring when cooking.