Author Question: The nurse is preparing to discharge a client with diarrhea. The healthcare provider prescribes ... (Read 32 times)

tingc95

The nurse is preparing to discharge a client with diarrhea. The healthcare provider prescribes kaolin to manage the client's diarrhea. After providing the client with information on this medication, which client statement indicates the need for further ed

A) If my diarrhea does not get better within 2 days, I will need to call my healthcare provider for further advice.
  B) I will need to take the medication after each loose stool.
  C) I should continue to take this medication daily until my stools are firm and dry.
  D) If I start to have a fever, I need to contact my healthcare provider about continuing to take this medication.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a client with chronic constipation. Which findings in the client's health history could be the cause of the current constipation?

Select all that apply.
  A) Bed rest
  B) High-fiber foods
  C) Low-fiber foods
  D) Chronic laxative use
  E) Depression

momolu

Answer to Question 1

Answer: C

Continuing to take the medication daily until the stools are firm and dry could result in constipation. If constipation occurs, the client will have another issue for resolution. The other statements are correct.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: A, C, D, E

Factors that contribute to chronic constipation include lack of activity, such as bed rest; a diet low in fiber; chronic laxative use; and emotional disturbances such as depression. A high-fiber diet is a treatment option for chronic constipation.