This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client prescribed tamoxifen (Nolvadex) for breast cancer treatment asks the nurse how the ... (Read 47 times)

mpobi80

A client prescribed tamoxifen (Nolvadex) for breast cancer treatment asks the nurse how the medication works. What is the best response by the nurse?

A) Tamoxifen works by inhibiting the cellular mitosis of breast cancer.
  B) Tamoxifen works by blocking estrogen receptors on breast tissue.
  C) Tamoxifen works by binding to the DNA of breast cancer cells.
  D) Tamoxifen works by inhibiting the metabolism of breast cancer cells.

Question 2

The nurse instructs a client recovering from a mastectomy on ways to prevent lymphedema. Which client statement indicates that teaching has been successful?

A) I should do the exercises on my affected arm every day.
  B) I have to take no special precautions.
  C) I should avoid cleansing my skin with soap.
  D) Eating fresh fruits and vegetables will prevent my arm from swelling.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nguyenhoanhat

Answer to Question 1

Answer: B

Breast cancer is dependent on estrogen for growth. Tamoxifen (Nolvadex) acts by blocking estrogen receptors; the tumor is deprived of estrogen. Tamoxifen does not inhibit the metabolism of breast cancer cells. Tamoxifen does not inhibit the cellular mitosis of breast cancer. Tamoxifen does not bind to the DNA of breast cancer cells.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: A
Range-of-motion exercises in the affected arm helps develop collateral drainage and prevent the development of lymphedema. The client should be instructed to protect the affected limb by not permitting blood pressure measurement and avoiding tight jewelry and clothing on the limb. There is no reason for the client to avoid cleansing the skin of the affected arm with soap. Consuming fresh fruits and vegetables will not prevent the development of lymphedema.

mpobi80

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

mcarey591

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

To maintain good kidney function, you should drink at least 3 quarts of water daily. Water dilutes urine and helps prevent concentrations of salts and minerals that can lead to kidney stone formation. Chronic dehydration is a major contributor to the development of kidney stones.

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library