This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has completed a seminar teaching a group in the community about ways to reduce cancer ... (Read 36 times)

chads108

The nurse has completed a seminar teaching a group in the community about ways to reduce cancer risks. The nurse returns a month later to evaluate the effectiveness of the seminar.

Which statements made by members of the group indicate retention and application of the material presented by the nurse to reduce the risk of developing cancer?
  Select all that apply.
  A) I stopped using tanning booths.
  B) I began drinking two glasses of red wine a day with dinner.
  C) I have reduced my intake of fiber.
  D) I have increased the amount of lean red meat in my diet.
  E) I now limit my alcohol intake to three drinks per week.

Question 2

The nurse is assessing an African-American client. The client is diagnosed with metabolic acidosis secondary to renal failure. Which nursing actions are culturally appropriate for this client?

Select all that apply.
  A) Assessing dietary intake of sodium
  B) Assessing dietary intake of potassium
  C) Monitoring for cardiac dysrhythmias
  D) Planning care based on the noncompliance that is often associated with this ethnic group
  E) Telling the client that ethnic foods must be avoided

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

courtney_bruh

Answer to Question 1

Answer: A, E

Excessive use of alcohol, especially in women, has been linked to increased risk of breast cancer, so reduction in intake would demonstrate understanding. Use of tanning booths increases the risk of skin cancer, so discontinuing use would indicate understanding. Increasing the amount of lean red meat and drinking two glasses of red wine daily are not actions that reduce cancer risk. Increased fiber intake reduces the risk of colon cancer.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: A, B, C

A) The nurse must assess the client's dietary intake of sodium in order to plan dietary teaching that is culturally-appropriate for this client.
B) The nurse must assess the client's dietary intake of potassium in order to plan dietary teaching that is culturally-appropriate for this client.
C) Metabolic acidosis can often cause cardiac dysrhythmias; therefore, it is appropriate for the nurse to monitor this client for this manifestation.
D) The nurse should plan individualized care for this client based on the nursing assessment.
E) While some ethnic foods may not be appropriate for the client, the nurse should assess which foods are consumed and then provide education regarding dietary intake that is appropriate.

chads108

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

peter

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Excessive alcohol use costs the country approximately $235 billion every year.

Did you know?

Cocaine was isolated in 1860 and first used as a local anesthetic in 1884. Its first clinical use was by Sigmund Freud to wean a patient from morphine addiction. The fictional character Sherlock Holmes was supposed to be addicted to cocaine by injection.

Did you know?

Congestive heart failure is a serious disorder that carries a reduced life expectancy. Heart failure is usually a chronic illness, and it may worsen with infection or other physical stressors.

Did you know?

Complications of influenza include: bacterial pneumonia, ear and sinus infections, dehydration, and worsening of chronic conditions such as asthma, congestive heart failure, or diabetes.

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library