Author Question: The nurse assists the client off the bedpan after defecating. After emptying and cleaning the ... (Read 38 times)

abarnes

The nurse assists the client off the bedpan after defecating. After emptying and cleaning the bedpan, the nurse finds the bedside table is full, and there is no room for storage of the pan. Which action by the nurse is the most appropriate?

1. Store the bedpan under the bed, where it is out of sight.
  2. Place the bedpan on the overbed table until creating a space in the bedside table.
  3. Place the bedpan on the floor of the bathroom behind or on the side of the toilet, where it is not likely to be tripped over.
  4. Remove objects from the bedside stand and return the bedpan to the stand.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a toddler-age client whose mother states, No matter what I do, I cannot get her to use the toilet for bowel movements. What would you suggest I do? Which response by the nurse is the most appropriate?

1. I would suggest you consult her pediatrician for further testing, because she should be able to control her bowels.
  2. I would suggest you consult a pediatric psychologist to determine why she is resistant to potty training.
  3. Resistance to toilet training can be very frustrating. She really isn't old enough to control her need to stool yet, and probably won't gain control until she is 18-24 months.
  4. I bet you get tired of changing diapers. Have you tried offering her a reward when she stools in the toilet?

Animal_Goddess

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4

Aseptic practice prohibits placing the bedpan on the floor under the bed, on the bedside stand, or on the floor of the bathroom. The nurse should remove objects preventing proper storage of the bedpan and find another location for these items.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3

Children generally do not gain control of defecation until 18-24 months of age, so there is no need for further testing or psychological counseling. Recognizing the mother's concern and providing information regarding normal development of bowel control is the best nursing response. Behavior modification in a child of this age is unlikely to be successful, and continued incontinence could increase the mother's frustration if she doesn't understand normal development.