This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: When caring for an older adult client who does not speak English, which assessment tool is the most ... (Read 23 times)

bobbie

When caring for an older adult client who does not speak English, which assessment tool is the most appropriate for the nurse to use to assess this client's pain?

1. The FACES rating scale
  2. An interpreter
  3. The client's affect
  4. The client's vital signs

Question 2

The nurse is obtaining a pain history. The client reports pain in the right ear. Which response by the nurse is the most appropriate?

1. Is the pain minor?
  2. Do you have anything else that hurts?
  3. Tell me more about the pain and what you do for it when it hurts.
  4. I'll note that in the record. Is there anything else I should know?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tdewitt

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1

An interpreter might not always be readily available, so the FACES rating scale can be used because it is not necessary to use language. If an interpreter is available the nurse can ask the interpreter to discuss the pain in more detail, but the FACES rating scale will help the nurse to respond to the client's pain appropriately and quickly without waiting for an interpreter. Affect and vital signs might not be accurate indicators of the client's discomfort.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3

When the client reports pain, the nurse should seek more information. When assessing pain, the nurse should assesss all aspects of the pain, including character, onset, location, duration, exacerbation, relief, and radiation.

bobbie

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

alexanderhamilton

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

The horizontal fraction bar was introduced by the Arabs.

Did you know?

The word drug comes from the Dutch word droog (meaning "dry"). For centuries, most drugs came from dried plants, hence the name.

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library