This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a client who had extensive surgery, and is now 6 days postoperative and ... (Read 70 times)

jayhills49

The nurse is caring for a client who had extensive surgery, and is now 6 days postoperative and getting out of bed for the first time later this morning.

When the nurse assesses the client for pain, the client responds, It hurts, but I don't want to take any more drugs. I don't want to end up addicted. Which response by the nurse is the most appropriate?
  1. If you don't take the pain medication on a regular schedule, you won't get addicted.
  2. People who have real pain are unlikely to become addicted to analgesics provided to treat the pain.
  3. You are wise to be concerned, and after 6 days it is probably time to stop taking narcotics if you can manage the pain in other ways.
  4. Don't worry about getting addicted. I will make sure you don't get addicted.

Question 2

The nurse has a multicultural practice, seeing clients from a variety of ethnic backgrounds. The nurse recognizes that people from what culture are most likely to believe that enduring pain is a sign of strength?

1. Mexican Americans
  2. Puerto Ricans
  3. Asian Americans
  4. African Americans

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

at

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1

Mexican Americans might tend to view pain as a part of life and as an indicator of the seriousness of an illness, believing that enduring pain is a sign of strength. Puerto Ricans tend to be loud and outspoken in their expressions of pain as a socially learned way to cope. The Chinese culture values silence, the Japanese client might have a stoic response to pain, whereas the Filipino client might believe pain is God's will. African American clients believe pain and suffering is part of life, and is to be endured.

jayhills49

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

amcvicar

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

There are approximately 3 million unintended pregnancies in the United States each year.

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates’s recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

Did you know?

Approximately 15–25% of recognized pregnancies end in miscarriage. However, many miscarriages often occur before a woman even knows she is pregnant.

Did you know?

Of the estimated 2 million heroin users in the United States, 600,000–800,000 are considered hardcore addicts. Heroin addiction is considered to be one of the hardest addictions to recover from.

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library