Author Question: The nurse is instructing the unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP) to apply a warm compress to the ... (Read 15 times)

xclash

The nurse is instructing the unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP) to apply a warm compress to the client's knee. Which statement made by the UAP would indicate that further instruction should be given?

1. I can place the heating pad directly to the client's knee.
  2. I will maintain the proper temperature of the heating pad.
  3. I will inform you of any redness of the skin.
  4. I will report to you when the treatment is over.

Question 2

The client with a sprained ankle is complaining of pain in the injured area. Which term will the nurse use when documenting this client's pain?

1. Visceral pain
  2. Somatic pain
  3. Physiological pain
  4. Neuropathic pain

nguyenhoanhat

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1

The heating pad should not be placed directly on the client's knee. This is incorrect and the nurse should explain to the UAP the need to place a barrier between the heating pad and the client's body part. The other statements indicate that the UAP has an accurate understanding of the procedure and the role of the UAP.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2

Somatic pain originates in the skin, muscles, bone, or connective tissue, and would best describe this client's pain. Somatic pain is a subclassification of physiological pain, so it would be less specific to call it physiological as opposed to somatic. Visceral pain tends to be poorly located, resulting from activation of pain receptors in the organs and/or hollow viscera. Neuropathic pain results from damaged or malfunctioning nerves.