This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Principles guiding the nurse's decision to delegate ensure the safety and quality of outcomes. The ... (Read 39 times)

Tirant22

Principles guiding the nurse's decision to delegate ensure the safety and quality of outcomes. The decision to delegate requires clear communication. The nurse knows that the UAP understands all directions when the UAP makes which statement?

Select all that apply.
  1. I will bathe the client in room 402.
  2. I am done with the assigned tasks for Mr. Wells.
  3. I can give the medication for you.
  4. I will note all orders.
  5. I understand my assignment is to take and document the vital signs.

Question 2

When the nurse delegates measurement of vital signs to an unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP), which are the nurse's responsibilities? Select all that apply.

1. Assessment of vital sign readings obtained by the unlicensed assistive personnel
  2. Assessment of the UAP's skills in measuring vital signs
  3. Determination that the vital signs were obtained correctly
  4. Follow up on vital sign measurements that are abnormal or unexpected
  5. Observe the UAP as she measures vital signs

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

millet

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,2,5

Restating the task to the nurse indicates understanding and appropriate communication during delegation. Telling the nurse that the assigned tasks are done indicates understanding and appropriate communication during delegation. Medication administration cannot be delegated. The UAP cannot note orders on the medical record. This activity must be done by the nurse.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1,2,3,4

Although the nurse can delegate the performance of tasks, the responsibility for those tasks is not delegated, and rests with the nurse. The nurse should review and assess all vital signs. The nurse should determine that the UAP is competent to perform any task delegated to her, and should assess the UAP's competence while performing the task. If the UAP reports an unusual reading, the nurse should recheck the vital sign to determine that it is accurate before treating or responding to the reading. The nurse does not need to follow the UAP around once she is judged to be competent, but the nurse should instruct the UAP regarding exactly what the nurse wants reported immediately and what would be outside the acceptable level.

Tirant22

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

bitingbit

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Human kidneys will clean about 1 million gallons of blood in an average lifetime.

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

Did you know?

Not getting enough sleep can greatly weaken the immune system. Lack of sleep makes you more likely to catch a cold, or more difficult to fight off an infection.

Did you know?

It is important to read food labels and choose foods with low cholesterol and saturated trans fat. You should limit saturated fat to no higher than 6% of daily calories.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library