Author Question: The student nurse measures the client's oxygen saturation level by using a pulse oximeter, and ... (Read 40 times)

Metfan725

The student nurse measures the client's oxygen saturation level by using a pulse oximeter, and confers with the nurse preceptor after completion. Which statement by the student indicates the need for further education?

1. A normal finding is that the client's oxygen saturation level is above 70.
  2. The pulse oximeter can measure the oxygen saturation of the hemoglobin.
  3. I placed the sensor on the client's finger.
  4. This test is noninvasive and painless.

Question 2

The nurse is performing a routine assessment on a dark-skinned client who has been admitted to the hospital. The nurse is assessing the client's oxygenation level and the presence of jaundice.

Which statements indicate that the nurse is performing these specific assessments?
  Select all that apply.

1. I need to look at your eyes.
  2. Please open your mouth for me.
  3. Squeeze my fingers with your hands.
  4. I am going to listen to your belly with my stethoscope.
  5. I need to press on your fingernail.

Qarqy

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
A normal finding is that the client's oxygen saturation is above 95, not above 70. A client with an oxygen saturation of only 70 has an increased risk of dying due to complications of poor oxygenation. The pulse oximeter measures the oxygen saturation of the client's hemoglobin. The reported percentage represents the light absorbed by oxygenated and deoxygenated hemoglobin. The sensor may be placed on the client's finger or earlobe. The test is noninvasive and will not cause the client to feel pain.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1, 2, 5
The nurse should look into the dark-skinned client's eyes to examine the sclera for the presence of jaundice. The nurse can also examine the client's conjunctiva to assess for the presence of pallor and oxygenation status. The nurse should examine the inside of the client's mouth to assess the mucous membranes for the client's oxygenation status. The nurse can assess the client's capillary refill by pressing on the client's fingernails to determine the client's level of oxygenation. The nurse should assess the client's neurological status by asking the client to squeeze both of the nurse's hands bilaterally. The nurse should assess the client's bowel sounds during the gastrointestinal system assessment.