This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An adult female client develops a pulmonary embolism and is admitted to the intensive care unit ... (Read 77 times)

RRMR

An adult female client develops a pulmonary embolism and is admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU). While completing the client's health history interview, which data is consistent with the admitting diagnosis of pulmonary embolism?

Select all that apply.
  1. Client states, I am not a smoker.
  2. Client states, The nurse on the surgical unit really wanted me to sit on the side of the bed after surgery and to start walking with him later that evening, but I was so nauseated and in so much pain that I couldn't.
  3. Client states, I had an open appendectomy 4 days ago. A 4 cm incision noted to RLQ, staples intact, edges well-approximated.
  4. Client states, I have taken oral contraceptives for the last 7 years.
  5. Client states, I had some muscle cramping and tenderness in my left leg before they moved me to Intensive Care.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a male client who is complaining of dizziness when standing. The client has been compliant with his antihypertensive medication.

Which statements made by the client are commonly associated with the use of antihypertensive medication?
  Select all that apply.
  1. Sometimes, I just feel so sick to my stomach.
  2. I have frequent headaches.
  3. My sex life hasn't been so good since I started taking this medication.
  4. I have a rash all over my back.
  5. I don't seem to urinate as much as I did before I started this medication.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bfulkerson77

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2, 3, 4, 5
Ambulating after surgery is important to help prevent blood clots from forming. Major surgeries can increase the client's risk for developing a blood clot. Oral contraceptive use can increase the client's risk for clotting. The client most likely had a deep vein thrombosis before the pulmonary embolism developed. Smoking cigarettes can increase the client's risk for developing a deep vein thrombosis that can turn into a pulmonary embolism.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1, 2, 3
Nausea and headaches are associated with antihypertensive medication use. Clients who use antihypertensive medications to control their blood pressure might experience a decrease in their sex drive. Impotence can occur in male clients. Rashes are not necessarily commonly associated with antihypertensive medication use. Clients who take diuretics to control their blood pressure may find that they are voiding more than usual. This is not found with antihypertensive medications other than diuretics.

RRMR

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

carojassy25

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

Eating food that has been cooked with poppy seeds may cause you to fail a drug screening test, because the seeds contain enough opiate alkaloids to register as a positive.

Did you know?

Aspirin may benefit 11 different cancers, including those of the colon, pancreas, lungs, prostate, breasts, and leukemia.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library