This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: During the focused interview, which client statements indicate an increased risk of developing ... (Read 51 times)

mckennatimberlake

During the focused interview, which client statements indicate an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease?

1. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 5 years ago.
  2. My doctor always tells me when I come in that my blood pressure is low.
  3. I know my grandmother had diabetes, but every time it has been checked mine has been normal.
  4. My total cholesterol has always been around 170.

Question 2

During the focused interview, the client answers the nurse's questions. Which statements by the client suggest that the client has an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease? Select all that apply.

1. I have been stressed out since my divorce last year.
  2. I'm what you call a Type C personality.
  3. I went on this new diet because I gained 30 pounds in the last 9 months.
  4. On my new diet, I can eat only grains and vegetables.
  5. I think about my job all of the time.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

pikon

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Hypothyroidism may increase the client's risk for developing cardiovascular disease. Hypertension, not hypotension, is associated with the development of cardiovascular disease. Normal serum glucose levels indicate that the client does not currently have diabetes and so this client's risk is not necessarily increased. The client's total cholesterol level is within normal limits. High cholesterol levels would increase the client's risk for developing cardiovascular disease.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1, 3, 4, 5

Psychosocial problems and excessive stress can increase the stimulation of the client's sympathetic nervous system, thereby increasing the client's risk for developing cardiovascular disease. Obesity and a high percentage of body fat are risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Weight gain may accompany physical problems including systemic diseases such as diabetes, which increases this client's risk for developing cardiovascular disease. The nurse must note if the client has been dieting to reduce weight. Many diets deplete valuable electrolytes and subject the client to potential complications. Muscle wasting may occur if the diet is deficient in protein. Lack of protein may compromise cardiac function. Type A personalities tend to develop cardiovascular disease more often than people with other personality types.

mckennatimberlake

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Wow, this really help

essyface1

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness. As of yet, there is no cure. Everyone is at risk, and there may be no warning signs. It is six to eight times more common in African Americans than in whites. The best and most effective way to detect glaucoma is to receive a dilated eye examination.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

Did you know?

Disorders that may affect pharmacodynamics include genetic mutations, malnutrition, thyrotoxicosis, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, and certain forms of insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus.

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library