Author Question: The nurse presented a program regarding objectives related to the overall health of eyes that are ... (Read 73 times)

The nurse presented a program regarding objectives related to the overall health of eyes that are addressed in Healthy People 2020. Which client statement made by an adult participant in the program indicates an adequate understanding of these objectives?

1. My 4-year-old doesn't need his vision screened.
  2. I'm going to call my eye doctor and ask that she performs a dilated eye exam.
  3. My mom has been complaining of dry eyes, but I knew it was all in her head.
  4. I didn't know that Asians have the highest risk for developing glaucoma.

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a group of nursing students about the cultural implications associated with eye diseases. At the conclusion of the teaching session, which student comment indicates the need for further education?

1. It is important to assess the African American client for clinical manifestations associated with increased intraocular pressure.
  2. We should assess serum glucose levels in our adult Hispanic clients.
  3. Our diabetic clients should return every 2 years for an assessment of their vision and their retina.
  4. Poorly controlled serum glucose levels can result in retinal changes that affect the client's vision and can even result in blindness.

sultana.d

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Preschool-aged children should have their vision screened to detect problems early. Early detection can lead to early treatment. One of the objectives of Healthy People 2020 is to increase the number of people who have dilated eye examinations performed. This is a screening method that can lead to early detection of eye problems. Older adults have a decrease in tear secretions that result in complaints of dry eyes. African Americans have the greatest risk for developing glaucoma when compared to other racial groups.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3

A client who has a personal or family history of diabetes should return each year for a thorough examination of his vision and retina. Diabetic retinopathy is the leading cause of blindness in the United States. African Americans have a higher risk for developing glaucoma. Glaucoma occurs when the flow of fluid around the anterior chamber of the eye is blocked and the client's intraocular pressure increases. Hispanics are more likely to develop type 2 diabetes, which can increase their risk of developing visual changes associated with diabetic retinopathy. Poorly controlled serum glucose levels are associated with diabetes. The client with diabetes can develop diabetic retinopathy. The client with this condition can develop changes in his retina and circulatory system.