Author Question: A school-age client is admitted to the hospital following an appointment in the pediatric oncology ... (Read 37 times)

londonang

A school-age client is admitted to the hospital following an appointment in the pediatric oncology clinic.

The client's mother is distraught over her child's recent leukemic relapse and states, What did I do wrong? Why does he deserve this? Why can't it be me? What do these statements indicate?
  1. Ineffective coping.
  2. Emotional emptiness.
  3. Spiritual distress.
  4. Psychologic anxiety.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a client in the emergency department (ED) who complains of chest pain and reports that people were following her.

She states, I can't see them but they are talking about grabbing me. While the woman is explaining the event, she alternates between wringing her hands and manipulating the items in her purse over and over. Which is the priority when continuing the assessment for this client?
  1. Spiritual affiliations.
  2. Dietary preferences and habits.
  3. Review of systems.
  4. Focused psychosocial interview.

k.lashomb

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3

Questions such as What did I do wrong? and Why does he deserve this? indicate spiritual distress. Further evidence would be required before determining psychologic anxiety. Emotional emptiness is not an acceptable term to describe behaviors indicating distress. Those types of statements are common responses to a serious diagnosis and do not indicate ineffective coping.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
The woman is exhibiting bizarre behavior and her story indicates some paranoia; therefore, a focused psychosocial interview is warranted. A spiritual assessment and dietary preferences are important, but the psychosocial interview would be a priority given the behaviors exhibited. The physical examination is conducted after the interviewing is complete.